Re: st: problem with "update swap"

From   Christian Holz <>
Subject   Re: st: problem with "update swap"
Date   Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:31:40 +0100

you could do it manually:
Close Stata and go to the file, where your Stata is installed (e.g. C:\Program Files\Stata).
Delete the wstata_old.exe and rename the wstata.exe to wstata_old.exe
Rename the wstata.bin file to wstata.exe and everything should be fine.
P.S. Instructions can also be found here:

Christian Holz
Department of Sociology
University of Glasgow
Scotland, U.K.

Susan Meng wrote:

I would like to download the newest executable in STATA 8, but when I
type the command "update swap" it gives me the following error message:
. update swap

     1.  Removing older backups
         removing wstata_old.exe
     2.  Backing up current executables.
         copying wstata.exe to wstata_old.exe
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
Could not copy C:\unzipped\Stata8\Stata8\wstata.exe to
  > stata_old.exe

What can I do to fix this? Thanks