st: svyset variables with public use files

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: svyset variables with public use files
Date   Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:17:28 -0400

As a relatively green Stata user working with the survey analysis commands in
Stata 9.0, I'm struggling with correctly reconciling sampling variables,
weights, and post-stratification weights in some public-use data files. The
problem might lie in the fact that such datasets often omit sampling
variables that could compromise confidentiality of respondents.

Nonetheless, it would be a great boon to me if someone out there has worked,
say, with the GSS files and could provide some sample code illustrating the
svyset command and the sampling variables that appear in the GSS data files.

Many thanks,

Robert Carver
Brandeis University