Re: st: Re: svyset for stratified probability proportional tosizedesign

From   Steve <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: svyset for stratified probability proportional tosizedesign
Date   Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:58:11 -0500

Nick,

Thanks for your helpful response; it also helps reconcile the apparently contradictory advice of textbooks and Stata examples.

Can you confirm that at whatever stage of a complex sample design where sampling with replacement is used, all lower stages using sampling without replacement below that are ignored? Or is it only when the first stage setting up PSUs is sampled with replacement that the subsequent sampling stages without replacement are ignored? And, are they only ignored in Stata's svyset command or with any complex survey analysis package?

If the lower stages are ignored, how can one take into account possible clustering at those stages, such as with blocks within census tracts or households within blocks?

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Winter" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: st: Re: svyset for stratified probability proportional tosizedesign

You only -svyset- one weight variable--which correspond to the ultimate probability of selection of each observation. With multiple stages of sampling, these weights will be a function of the probabilities of selection at each stage, possibly with additional corrections for non-response, etc. So the sample might be self-weighting at the first stage, but perhaps not at lower stages, resulting in non-constant weights for the ultimate observations.

So you would do something like:

. svyset psu1 [pw=weight] , str(strat1) || psu2 , fpc(fpc2) || _n , fpc(fpc3)

Note, however, that if the first stage is actually sampled with replacement, than lower-level without-replacement sampling is ignored. This will be conservative--your reported standard errors will be somewhat larger than they would otherwise be.

--Nick Winter