Re: st: svy regress Stata 9 vs Stata 8

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: svy regress Stata 9 vs Stata 8
Date   Sat, 06 Aug 2005 20:38:56 -0500

At 08:46 PM 8/6/2005 -0400, Robert Duval wrote:
Dear all,

I recently started working with Stata9 and while using svy: regress I
noticed it runned slower than it's counterpart (svyregress) in Stata8.
 Also the decimals reported in the standard errors differ slightly
across versions.
I just tried a few svy runs. Didn't notice any differences in the standard errors (trivial differences wouldn't really bother me anyway) but the speed difference in the problem I ran was about 3:1 in favor of version 8.2. I don't know why; perhaps in making the svy commands more general and powerful they got slowed down a bit. You might try svy-setting them in version 9 to see if that helps any. Otherwise, if speed is of the essence, version control may be the way to go for now.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu