Re: st: RE: Learning how to program Stata

From   Sergio Correia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Learning how to program Stata
Date   Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:29:19 -0500

This order may help you, as it was what I did (actually I'm still learning):

1) At first, don't try to do a -program- .. make do-files with macros...

Eg:
local y wages
local x inflation gdp productivity
regress `y' `x'

Even better, dont do this kind of stuff in do-files.. as you can use
macros interactively.

2) Learn foreach / forvalues.. if you do that, you are mostly gonna
need to use the return commands (ereturn, return, etc.) to be able to
store results in tables, etc.

3) After you feel confortable with 1) and 2), go for programs. Also,
you MUST be VERY familiar with Stata's syntax.

Learn the -program-, -syntax-, -macro-, etc. commands in the
programming guide. At this point, Stata's manuals should be like your
bible.

Some more advice: If you start reading the official ADO files, you may
feel discouraged as they are fairly complex (due to efficiency and its
fool-proof nature). Stuff like `"`var'"' can be quite puzzling at
first. Also, if you want to grasp the basics of programming in a fast
way, try reading some of the manuals that are out there (mostly from
Nicholas Cox and Christopher Baum). For example, this one is quite
good:

http://fmwww.bc.edu/ec-p/wp612.pdf

Sergio