RE: st: xtlogit dropping all variables

From   "reardon, sean f." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: xtlogit dropping all variables
Date   Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:56:41 -0700

jenny --

sam is right about fixed effects models dropping variables that do not
vary within units -- but in this case jenny has specified the grouping
variable as "cnty" -- which she says is a county variable.  since sex of
physicians presumably varies within counties, it is not being dropped
for this reason, i suspect.

so i suspect there is either something wrong with the data or something
wrong with xtlogit; the latter is unlikely, as xtlogit has been around
in stata for awhile.

i'd suggest looking closely at the data to make sure things are coded as
you think -- particularly the outcome variable.  in addition, you might
try running the same model using xtreg, fe instead to see if the same
problem occurs.  you might also run the model with a single variable at
a time to see if there is a problem variable in there.

unrelated perhaps to the estimation problem, the model you have
specified may be more propoerly specified as a multi-level survival
model.  there are problems with such models when time-varying covariates
are included (i can't tell from your note, but they may be), and there
are also some interpretation issues to consider, given that the sample
potentially changes over time in different ways in each county in each
county because of differential survival rates.

for more on such models, see

reardon, brennan, & buka (2002) "estimating multilevel discrete time
hazard models using cross-sectional data: neighborhood effects on the
onset of  cigarette use."  multivariate behavioral research 37/3:
297-330.

Jennifer S Barber, Susan A Murphy, Natalya Verbitsky (2004) "Adjusting
for Time Varying Confounding in Survival Analysis" Sociological
Methodology 34:1 163-192

sean.

_____________________________

sean f. reardon
associate professor of education and (by courtesy) sociology
school of education
485 lasuen mall, #315
stanford university
stanford, ca 94305-3096