st: Use of econometric methods in medical research

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Use of econometric methods in medical research
Date   Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:08:39 +0900

Is anyone aware of any literature in which statistical methods familiar in
econometrics are used in medical research other than in pharmacoeconomics or
health economics?

For example, I'm wondering whether there has been some attempt, say, to use
dynamic panel model methods (think -xtabond-) in so-called dose-titration
clinical pharmacology studies.  It would seem that the issue of feedback in
dose-titration studies would make dynamic panel methods ideal, considerations
of nonlinearity taken into account.  There would seem to be many other examples
in which confounding or potential confounding in longitudinal clinical studies,
even as arises in randomized clinical trials, could be at least be approached
with methods associated with econometrics.

I've tried Web searches with search terms that come to mind, but without much
luck.  Does anyone on the list have any leads that he or she could share as an
entry-point into the pertinent literature, if there is any?

Joseph Coveney