st: New Book on Stata

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: New Book on Stata
Date   Mon, 4 Jul 2005 18:23:19 +0200

hi all,

please allow us to announce the following new book on Stata:

Kohler, Ulrich and Frauke Kreuter (2005): Data Analysis Using Stata. College
Station: Stata Press.

The book is available from

http://www.stata.com/bookstore/daus.html

It provides a comprehensive introduction to Stata and we hope that it will be
useful to those who are just learning statistics and Stata as well as users
of other statistical packages making the switch to Stata. A short version of
the Table of contents is shown below our signature. Please refer to the above
webpage for more information.

Ulrich Kohler                   Frauke Kreuter
[email protected]             [email protected]
+49 (030) 25491-361             +1 (301) 4050935

Table of contents
-----------------

0 About the book

0.1 Structure
0.2 Using this book: Materials and hints
0.3 Teaching with this manual

1 "The first time"

1.1 Starting Stata
1.2 Setting up your screen
1.3 Your first analysis
1.4 Do-files
1.5 Exiting Stata

2 Working with do-files

2.1 From interactive work to working with a do-file
2.2 Designing do-files
2.3 Organizing your work
2.4 Summary

3 The grammar of Stata

3.1 The elements of Stata commands
3.2 Repeating similar commands
3.3 Weights

4 Some general comments on the statistical commands

5 Creating and changing variables
5.1 The commands generate and replace
5.2 Specialized recoding commands
5.3 Additional tools for recording data
5.4 Commands for dealing with missing values
5.5 Labels
5.6 Storage types, or, the ghost in the machine

6 Creating and changing graphs

6.1 A primer on graph syntax
6.2 Graph types
6.3 Graph elements
6.4 Multiple graphs
6.5 Saving and printing graphs

7 Describing and comparing distributions

7.1 Categories: Few or many?
7.2 Variables with few categories
7.3 Variables with many categories
7.4 Summary

8 Introduction to linear regression

8.1 Simple linear regression
8.2 Multiple regression
8.3 Regression diagnostics
8.4 Model extensions
8.5 More on standard errors
8.6 Advanced techniques
8.7 Summary

9 Regression models for categorical dependent variables

9.1 The linear probability model
9.2 Basic concepts
9.3 Logistic regression with Stata
9.4 Logistic regression diagnostics
9.5 Likelihood-ratio test
9.6 Refined models
9.7 Advanced techniques
9.8 Summary

10 Reading and writing data

10.1 The goal: The data matrix
10.2 Importing machine-readable data
10.3 Inputting data
10.4 Combining data
10.5 Saving and exporting data
10.6 Handling big datasets

11 Do-files for advanced users and user-written programs

11.1 Two examples of usage
11.2 Four programming tools
11.3 User-written Stata commands
11.4 Summary