Re: st: Addressing > 2 gig of RAM

Subject   Re: st: Addressing > 2 gig of RAM
Date   Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:02:50 -0400

In an attempt to finish out this already too long thread, I think my main point was that, if a Stata user needs to work with a dataset larger than 2GB and they work in mac OS X or Win XP, then they could accomplish their work using a 64bit platform (whether Windows or Linux). I have seen no reports that using Win64 will suffer any speed deficit, and certainly not a significant one. Sure, Windows is not great at memory management and suffers code bloat and isn't elegant, but many people use it by choice or force or convenience and still seem to be able to function in modern society and get work done. As someone with tasks to accomplish on time/budget, I find it much more cost-effective to buy more RAM or a new computer and use software tools such as Stata, than to spend endless hours writing source code.

Michael Blasnik
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/