Re: st: dealing with directories in.ado files

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: dealing with directories in.ado files
Date   Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:44:24 -0500

At 02:15 PM 6/20/2005 -0700, Florence Neymotin wrote:
Hi, I was wondering, if you are writing a .ado file to be used as a stata
add-on, then if you need to do a preserve restore, what is the default to
use as the directory for this?  I wasn't sure whether "home" or the temp
files associated with the stata program would be better here.
Thank you,
I'm not sure I understand the question. You do not have to specify a directory when using preserve and restore. Further, I suspect Stata doesn't write anything to disk, unless you have allocated more memory than you have, but I could be wrong about that.

If you are talking about where to store your own personally written ado file, I imagine c:\ado\personal (or whatever -adopath- tells you is the "personal" directory) is probably the most common place.

If I'm not understanding you correctly, perhaps you could clarify exactly what it is you want.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu