RE: st: Re: Windows XP, Stata, and memory

From   "" <>
Subject   RE: st: Re: Windows XP, Stata, and memory
Date   Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:41:28 -0400

My understanding is that there is a known problem with XP SP2 and Stata 9
(addressing >800 MB), which is felt to be a Microsoft problem.  I've heard
rumors of a patch, but have not seen it.

Original Message:
From: Michael Blasnik
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:10:59 -0400
Subject: st: Re: Windows XP, Stata, and memory

I would try starting Stata right after booting the machine and avoid
other programs.  If you have many automatically loading programs, try
turning some of that off.  The problem is that Stata needs a contiguous
block of memory, not just 1200m (which windows could provide easily).
may be some memory mangement utilities that can help drop unneded stuff out
of memory and/or reorganize memory (?).  Just now I allocating mem on my
similarly configured machine (XP SP2, 2G) and Stata was able to allocate
1400m.  Usually I can get about 1000m - 1300m.  If I've been using the
machine all day, then the limit is sometimes as little as 850m.

Michael Blasnik