RE: st: RE: Using results from correlation matrices to pinpoint variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Using results from correlation matrices to pinpoint variables
Date   Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:13:57 +0100

OK. Suppose you -sort- a numeric variable:

sort myvar

Then, if at least one value of -myvar-
is missing, it follows that the last value
will be missing, as any missing values have been -sort-ed to
that end. So that you could do this

sort myvar
if missing(myvar[_N]) drop myvar

to get rid of a variable with any missing values.

Also, if a numeric variable were all missing,
then

sort myvar
if missing(myvar[1]) & missing(myvar[_N]) drop myvar

would drop such a variable.

On the whole, however,

if <condition> <command>

doesn't much feature in decisions on whole
variables.

-dropmiss- itself just uses -count- for this problem and does
nothing to the -sort- order, even internally.