st: RE: 3 very basic questions

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: 3 very basic questions
Date   Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:21:17 +0100

stats dummy

Why not use your real name? Almost all Statalist people do.
> I'm a recent convert from SPSS (hence "statsdummy"). I'm having
> trouble making the adjustment. Here are three things I'd like to do,
> but am having difficulty doing (even after scouring the documentation
> & on-line discussions):
> 1. Normalize my data. I'd like to set the mean to zero and the SD to 1
> for most of my variables. Is there a simple way to do this?

. help egen

to see -std()- function.
> 2. Develop a regression model in a series of steps, noting the change
> in R2 that the addition of each new set of IVs produces and whether
> that change is significant (especially useful in assessing the
> significance of interactions). For other refugees from SPSS, this
> would be akin to:
> /METHOD=ENTER x1 x2 x3
> /METHOD=ENTER x12 x13 x23
> /METHOD=ENTER x123 .

It is perhaps more Stataish to alternate -regress- and -test-.
> 3. Perform the same transformation on a series of variables without
> repeating the command. For other refugees from SPSS, this would be
> akin to:
> RECODE v1 v2 v3 INTO v11 v22 v33 .

. help forval
. help foreach

except that these might seem a little daunting at the
beginning of your Stata career.