st: RE: question about processing time

From   "Rosenthal, James A." <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: question about processing time
Date   Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:41:15 -0500

Dr Vistainer:

Did you ever get a response to your question below?

I have a much smaller problem (15,000 records with 3 or 4 levels) that
SPSS MIXED runs out of memory on. HLM handles nicely, but I cannot
incorporate a 4th level.

If I knew STATA could handle problem, I might well upgrade to 9.0.

Thanks for any info that you might be able to provide.

Jim Rosenthal
University of Oklahoma
School of Social Work
1005 Jenkins Avenue
Norman OK 73069
fax: 405-325-7072

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Visintainer,
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 7:17 AM
Subject: question about processing time

A colleague asked me about Stata's (ver 9.0) ability to run a mixed
model with 4 levels on a database with about 1 million records.  If
anyone has run something close to this scenario, I'd appreciate your

I'd like to know how long Stata took to run the model and the
configuration of the machine it was run on (I assume its best to load as
much memory as the machine can take).

Paul Visintainer