st: Comment indicator * produces error in Mata

From   "Jann, Ben" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Comment indicator * produces error in Mata
Date   Tue, 24 May 2005 11:35:28 +0200

it appears that the * comment indicator, which may be used at
the beginning of a line to indicate that the line is to be
ignored (see -help comments-), cannot be used with Mata.

  : void somefunction()
  > {
  > *       display("some text")
  > }

  : somefunction()
  some text
            somefunction():  3257  nonpointer found where pointer
                   <istmt>:     -  function returned error
  (0 lines skipped)

The error also occurs if somefunction() is defined whithin an
ado file. Other comment indicators like // or /**/ work fine.

If one really thinks hard about how the different comment
indicators are handeled in Stata, it is not surprising that
the * comment indicator does not work in Mata. Nonetheless,
I think that this is bad news for people being accustomed to
using the * comment indicator.

Even more bad news is that the problem is not mentionned in the
documentation (at least not in places where one would look for it
such as -help comment-, [M-1] first, [M-1] ado, [U] 16.1.2, or
[U] 18.11.2). I hope that this will change in a future update.