Re: st: .do file max size

From   "Neil Shephard" <>
Subject   Re: st: .do file max size
Date   Mon, 16 May 2005 15:43:02 +0100

> This seems insane, but Stata is refusing to open one of my
> many-times-opened .do files, claiming,  all of a sudden, that .do
> files over 30k are too big for the editor to handle.
I can't comment on the cause of this problem (I suspect it may be platform related, but
there is no indication of your OS), however....

> I am reluctant to re-install, because the update from Stata8 to 8.2
> takes hours. Does anyone know of a way to open .do files in some text
> editor without losing the formatting? Also, is this error message I'm
> getting for real? I just don't believe it would be a clever
> programming idea to limit the size of files that may be used in a
> built-in text editor.
...there is an excellent FAQ on text editors for Stata which can be viewed at...

Neil Shephard
Genetics Statistician
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester

"If your result needs a statistician then you should design a better experiment" -
Ernest Rutherford