Re: st: .do file max size

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: .do file max size
Date   Mon, 16 May 2005 15:43:02 +0100

> This seems insane, but Stata is refusing to open one of my
> many-times-opened .do files, claiming,  all of a sudden, that .do
> files over 30k are too big for the editor to handle.

I can't comment on the cause of this problem (I suspect it may be platform related, but
there is no indication of your OS), however....

> I am reluctant to re-install, because the update from Stata8 to 8.2
> takes hours. Does anyone know of a way to open .do files in some text
> editor without losing the formatting? Also, is this error message I'm
> getting for real? I just don't believe it would be a clever
> programming idea to limit the size of files that may be used in a
> built-in text editor.

...there is an excellent FAQ on text editors for Stata which can be viewed at...

http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html

HTH's

Neil

Neil Shephard
Genetics Statistician
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester

"If your result needs a statistician then you should design a better experiment" -
Ernest Rutherford