st: RE: Model specification problem for the Heckman twostep model

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Model specification problem for the Heckman twostep model
Date   Thu, 12 May 2005 21:09:36 +0100

I've not tried but I believe that there is much
more that you can do than you imply. For example,
if you use -predict- to save residuals, you can
then fire up -qnorm- to look at normality of residuals,
which is usually much more illuminating than some
ritual test. Similarly, you can knit your own plots
for examining heteros{c|k}edasticity.

Another line of attack is the package -modeldiag-,
a ragbag of routines for examination of erratic
error terms. This was written up in Stata Journal
4(4) 2004. The programs can be located via
-search- in an up-to-date Stata. I haven't checked
that these programs will work after -heckman-,
however.

By the way, -whitetst- is not built-in to Stata.
It is a user-written command. This detail is naturally
not pertinent to your main query.

Yang Li