st: Re: F-test on fixed effects

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: F-test on fixed effects
Date   Wed, 11 May 2005 07:14:52 -0400

webuse grunfeld,clear
areg invest mvalue, a(company) robust
scalar rss1 = e(rss)
scalar dfr = e(df_r)
scalar dfa = e(df_a)
regress invest mvalue, robust
scalar rss2 = e(rss)
scalar fstat = ((rss2-rss1)/dfa)/(rss1/dfr)
di "Resid SS with dummies " rss1
di "Resid SS without dummies " rss2
di "F statistic with " dfa " and " dfr " d.f. = " fstat

You can run this model with xtreg, fe and verify that it is calculating the same F-stat. Since the formula for this F depends only on residual sums of squares, and they are not modified by the use of robust s.e.'s...

You should also be able to use weights in both the models above.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html