st: Some Stata 9 issues

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Some Stata 9 issues
Date   Sun, 01 May 2005 08:48:27 -0500

I have used Stata 9 (Windows SE) for about 1 1/2 days. Here are several issues for me.

1) Each -help something- opens a new window unless I want to type the option -,nonew- I almost always I want only one window. Could there be a "fix" that allowed one to choose having -nonew- as the default with -new- as an option?

2) I notice when displaying a long list that Stata 9 sets page size at 47. Stata 8 set it at 41. I have to set page to get -more- to work as it did previously. Now it is below the bottom of the results window. Not a big problem, but was this intentional?

3) When I am running a do file that makes graphs and includes the name() option, the graphs appear correctly in named windows (very nice). However, when I -use- graphs that already exist as files (gph) the name() option does not work right:

. graph use preddoc.gph,name(g1)

produces a graph of preddoc.gph labelled g1

. graph use predhaq.gph,name(g2)

Eliminates the display of g1 and replaces it with predhaq.gph but labels it as g1 not g2.

Unless I misread this, there are 2 problems. (1) Stata 9 won't show 2 graphs and (2) it labels the graph names incorrectly.

4) I used to be able to paste from my text editor into the Stata editor, with Control-8. Then Control a - v and d ran the program. Now control 8 opens a new window each time - which has to be deleted (closed) individually.

In addition, once the doedit file is open if you want to select it you can't use control 8 as it gives you a new file. You have to carefully select the "named" file with the mouse to get it to redisplay.

Could there be a new Control-function # that accessed the last open editor file?

While much of this is a matter of taste, using multiple windows as the default for the editor and help viewer really adds lots of key strokes over and over again during a working day.

Fred Wolfe

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
Tel (316) 263-2125 Fax (316) 263-0761

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/