st: Re: RE: Scripting Question

From   "Martin M. Monti" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Scripting Question
Date   Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:17:26 -0400

Nick, David, Nicholas,

The "local" works much better, I actually didn't know about it, being this my very first scripting. But at least it's all clear now!

Thank you very much for the help.

Best,

Martin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 12:06 PM
Subject: st: RE: Scripting Question

Assuming you want

1 with 2
3 with 4
5 with 6
7 with 8

then it is one loop, not two, and
better phrased that way:

forval i = 1(2)7 {
local k = `i' + 1
}

What you have is almost legal. You'd need

forval i = 1(2)7 {
foreach k in `=`i'+1' {
}
}

but as the inner loop is over
a single index, you can replace it as above.

Martin M. Monti

I'm trying to write a .do file that may scroll through my variables
performing simple tabstats and ttests on pairs of variables. The key
variables to test/tabstat are identified by a string (e..g
"judged") and an
appended number (thus: e..g judged1, judged2, ...). A simple
loop on an `i'
macro will allow me to specify judged`i' in the loop and have
it scroll
through the various variables, but when I set a second macro
(say `k')
making it equal to `i'+1 (so that I can always do ttestes on
variables in
sequence (e.g. ttest time`i' = time`k' so that it's always
"ttest time1 =
time2", "ttest time3 = time4", and so on)) even though it
will loop through
the correct numbers (thus `k' is correctly being set to
`i'+1), it will not
allow me to append it to the string (unlike `i'!).

Here is the loop I use:

*the loop only sets `i' to odd numbers (so that `k' can
scroll through the
even ones)
forvalues i = 1 (2) 7 {
   foreach k in `i'+1 {
       table judged`i' judged`k'
       tabstat time`i' time`k', stats(mean sd N)
       ttest time`i' = time`k' if (judged`i' == 1 & judged`k' == 1)
       tabstat rate`i' rate`k', stats(mean sd N)
       ttest rate`i' = rate`k' if (judged`i' == 1 & judged`k' == 1)
   }
}

Note, I''ve tried running the loop and the problem is that as
it is supposed
to execute the commands with `k' it will say that the
variable judged (only
with the `k' appended!) is ambiguous. Also, if I run the same
exact loop,
just replacing the 5 commands with only: display `i' and
display `k' it will
scroll correctly through the numbers.