Re: st: modeling constraint question

From   Chris Ruebeck <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: modeling constraint question
Date   Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:30:53 -0400

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but let me try a couple of questions for you.

Do you want to constrain your function that estimates the parameters (what Nick is calling upstream)? Or constrain your predictions (downstream)? Constraining the predictions would seem to just be a matter of -replace-ing the predicted funding07 with the 10% limits you mention on funding06, perhaps using the lag operator if you want to condition the limits on a previous year's observations.

replace funding07 = (L.funding06)*1.1 if funding07>(L.funding06)*1.1
replace funding07 = (L.funding06)*0.9 if funding07<(L.funding06)*0.9

I would guess, though, that constraining the estimation is a better approach---correctly modeling the data generating process. To constrain the estimation, see the online and Reference Manual help for -constrain-.

Chris