Re: st: New version of -descsave- on SSC

Subject   Re: st: New version of -descsave- on SSC
Date   Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:09:07 -0500

At 12:35 PM 4/27/2005 +0100, Roger Newson wrote:
Hello All

Thanks to Kit Baum, a new version of the -descsave- package is now available for download on SSC. In Stata, use the -ssc- command to do this.
Thanks Roger. Incidentally, this brings up an issue that I wish there was a more elegant way to deal with. When Stata does an update, the old programs just sort of disappear, e.g. version 9 users won't be using the Stata 8 version of -mlogit-, they'll just automatically have the new one. User-written routines don't have such a luxury, and so as a result, you see things like old programs being re-released with new names, e.g. prog becomes prog7 or whatever. So, you might have a bunch of different programs called -prog- floating around, one for V. 6, another for V. 7, etc, along with otherwise identical programs called prog6, prog7, etc. I don't know of any convenient way around this but it would be nice if updating user programs behaved more like updating Stata is, i.e. you get the version of the program that is appropriate for your version of Stata without having to re-release old programs under new names.

I'm also working on a user-written Stata 8 program, which, in a few months, I imagine I will rewrite for Stata 9. I'm trying to write this program so it can be easily supported by Long and Freese's -spost- routines, but if the program has different names depending on the version of Stata you are using then support will be harder (e.g. there might be a -prog-, which gets renamed -prog8- and is replaced by another -prog- written for Stata 9, which eventually gets renamed -prog9- and is replaced by a -prog- written for Stata 10, etc.) Maybe I need to tell them to reserve a string of names for me for future compatibility! (e.g. prog, prog7 prog8, prog9, prog10, whatever.)

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]