st: Copy string variable as value label

From   Friedrich Huebler <>
Subject   st: Copy string variable as value label
Date   Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:27:19 -0700 (PDT)

When a string variable is converted to a numeric variable with
-encode-, the numeric values follow the sort order of the string
variable. I would like to -encode- a string variable based on the
sort order of another variable. My original data is like this:

var   mean
a     1.5
b     1.2
b     1.2
b     1.2
c     1.8
c     1.8

I would like to create the variable "newvar" like this, using the
sort order of the variable "mean":

var   mean   newvar   (label for newvar)
b     1.2    1        b
b     1.2    1        b
b     1.2    1        b
a     1.5    2        a
c     1.8    3        c
c     1.8    3        c

My solution is shown below. Creating "newvar" itself is simple but
there must be a better way to assign the labels.

sort mean
egen newvar = group(mean)
lab def newvar 1 "temp"
levels(newvar), local(levels)
foreach l of local levels {
  gen temp = ""
  replace temp = var if newvar==`l'
  levels(temp), local(templabel)
  lab def newvar `l' `templabel', modify
  drop temp
lab val newvar newvar

How can this code be improved? Thank you for your suggestions.

Friedrich Huebler

Do You Yahoo!?