st: RE: Recoding Question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Recoding Question
Date   Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:47:09 +0100

Similar questions have started several threads
in the last few weeks.

If you

. tsset Country Year

then -tsspell- from SSC will do this for you. After

. tsspell, cond(Rev == 0)

the new variable -_spell- will be exactly what you seek.

Alternatively, from first principles we can go

bysort Country (Year):
	gen code = cond(Rev == 1, 0, sum(Rev == 0 & Rev[_n-1] != 0))

Geoffrey D. Peterson