Re: st: kdensity

Subject   Re: st: kdensity
Date   Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:39:48 -0400

I used to:
kdensity X, gen(aa bb) nogr
cumul bb, g(cum_bb)
ksm cum_bb bb
If you want the density at each point
you could :
qui cou
local n = r(N)
kdensity X, gen(aa bb) nogr n(`n')

Amadou DIALLO.

                      "Branko Milanovic"
                      <bmilanovic@carnegieendow        To:       <>
            >                        cc:
                      Sent by:                         Subject:  st: kdensity
                      04/22/2005 01:40 PM
                      Please respond to

When you do kdensity X, STATA charts a kernel density fct of X's. Now,
is there a command that would allow me to take the density function thus
generated and chart a cumulative density (or distribution) function?
Ideally, I would like to do that for both densities, that is to go from
a overlay graph

twoway (kdensity X) (kdensity Y)

To a similar overlay graph of two cumulative density functions.

Or is the only way to use:

kdensity X, gen(aa bb)

And then generate a cumulative function of aa? By the way, I tried that
but the graph did not turn out well.

Branko Milanovic

You can start using my new (old) Email address:

Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
1779 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington DC 20036
Email: or
tel: 202-473-6968 (leave a message)