st: kdensity

From   "Branko Milanovic" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: kdensity
Date   Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:40:39 -0400

When you do kdensity X, STATA charts a kernel density fct of X's. Now,
is there a command that would allow me to take the density function thus
generated and chart a cumulative density (or distribution) function?
Ideally, I would like to do that for both densities, that is to go from
a overlay graph

twoway (kdensity X) (kdensity Y)

To a similar overlay graph of two cumulative density functions.

Or is the only way to use:

kdensity X, gen(aa bb)

And then generate a cumulative function of aa? By the way, I tried that
but the graph did not turn out well.

Branko Milanovic

You can start using my new (old) Email address:
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
1779 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington DC 20036
Email: or
tel: 202-473-6968 (leave a message)