st: RE: elementary panel data management question

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: elementary panel data management question
Date   Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:02:50 -0500

Here is one way, using the "grunfeld.dta" data set with investment as the
variable of interest:

. webuse grunfeld

. sort year invest

. gen top5 = .
(200 missing values generated)

. by year: replace top5 = 1 if _n  >_N-5 & invest <.
(100 real changes made)

. replace top = 0 if top ==.
(100 real changes made)

. egen total = sum(invest) if top == 1 , by(year)
(100 missing values generated)

Hope this helps,
Scott