st: RE: elementary panel data management question

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: elementary panel data management question
Date   Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:53:19 +0100

bysort year (profit) : gen high = (_N - _n) <= 4

If -profit- is ever missing, you need

gen OK = profit < .
bysort OK year (profit) : gen high = OK * ((_N - _n) <= 4)

Within each block of -year-, -sort- on -profit-.

The company with the highest -profit- is then last,
such that _N == _n and _N - _n == 0.

The second highest profit is then such that _N - 1 = _n
and _N - _n == 1.

And so third. And so forth.

This all hinges on the fact that under -by:- _n and _N
are defined within groups. More at

How to move step by: step. Stata Journal 2(1):86-102

(explains the use of the by varlist : construct to tackle
a variety of problems with group structure, ranging from
simple calculations for each of several groups to more
advanced manipulations that use the built-in _n and _N)

The total profit for those companies is then given by

sum profit if high

Crystal Lopez