Re: st: robust estimators and auotcorrelation

From   "Mark Schaffer" <>
Subject   Re: st: robust estimators and auotcorrelation
Date   Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:13:00 +0100

Date sent:      	Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:10:59 -0500
From:           	Robin Gottfried <>
Subject:        	st: robust estimators and auotcorrelation
Send reply to:

> I am using xtgee, robust, to estimate a probit equation for panel
> data. xtserial indicates I have autocorrelation in the data.
> Does robust estimation correct for autocorrelation

No.  In Stata-ese, "robust" = "robust to arbitrary

... but if you use "cluster", then your standard errors will be
robust to arbitrary autocorrelation and heteroskedasticity.

In both cases, only the SEs are corrected; the coefficients are the
same with or without these options.

> or should I also
> use the Arima correction along with the robust estimation?
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK
44-131-451-3494 direct
44-131-451-3296 fax
44-131-451-3485 CERT administrator