st: RE: Stata 9 announcement

From   "Steichen, Thomas J." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Stata 9 announcement
Date   Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:58:12 -0400

Bill Gould (StataCorp) writes (in part):

> We have a tradition of telling Statalist members about new
> releases of Stata before anyone else, so here it is:
>
> I am pleased to be the one to announce the release of Stata 9.
>
> Stata 9 begins shipping on April 27th.

It is with some curiosity that I note that previous such announcements
have led to an immediate and wide-ranging discussion on Statalist,
yet this message was met with thunderous silence.  My question is why?

  . Perhaps the time interval between Stata 8 and Stata 9 was too short?

  . Perhaps we have yet to absorb all the new features in 8 and now we
    are faced with 9?

  . Perhaps what 9 offers is not of interest?

  . Or is it the complexity of the new offerings that stagger us into
    silence?

  . Or the cost of the upgrade?

Regardless, I'm amazed that Bill's announcement has, so far, led to only
one comment on this list. I know I will be upgrading because some (though
not all) of the new offerings are of interest to me and I don't mind
supporting a company that does such a good job of supporting its users.

But I will also note that all of the above bullets are part and parcel of
My reaction to Stata 9's announcement.

So where do you stand?

Tom Steichen

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any  attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential,  protected by the attorney-
client or other legal privileges, and/or  proprietary non-public
information.  If you are not an intended  recipient of this message or an
authorized assistant to an intended  recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this message and  then delete it from your system.  Use,
dissemination, distribution,  or reproduction of this message and/or any of
its attachments (if  any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and
may be unlawful.