st: problem while converting EPS graphics from Stata into PDF

From (Tze Kwang Teo)
Subject   st: problem while converting EPS graphics from Stata into PDF
Date   Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:31:52 -0500

Dear Statalisters,

I have been encountering the same problem while using Adobe Acrobat Distiller to convert EPS graphics from Stata into PDF. The problem is that after conversion, I view the resultant PDF and the graph is always "embedded" in a 8.5in by 11in "canvas" even though the graph is several sizes smaller than letterpaper size. In other words a lot of white-space is created that should not be part of the graph.

I have been attempting EPS -> PDF conversion because for a variety of reasons I need to use the pdfLaTeX driver (I typeset in LaTeX), which accepts inclusion of single-page PDF graphics but not EPS. And it's not just Distiller which creates this problem, but Ghostscript (plus GSview) as well.

All recommendations are appreciated.

Tze Kwang Teo

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Download now at