st: Re:

From   Paul Millar <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re:
Date   Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:53:58 -0700

Hello Markus,

This is quite easy to do in Stata (if I understand what you are trying to do):

sort id event   // sorts the dataset
by id: gen totvisit=_N  // The total number of visits for that person
by id: gen visitno=_n   // the visit number for that person
by id event:gen nevists=_N    // the number of visits for that person and event
by id event:gen evistno=_N    // the visit number for that person and event

Is this the sort of thing you wanted to do?

- Paul Millar
Sociology
University of Calgary