RE: st: Re: Unwanted pause after -shell- in do-file

From   "Peter J. Burke" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Re: Unwanted pause after -shell- in do-file
Date   Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:08:27 -0800

I get the same result (delays). However, no delays are present if I use
!dir *.hlp /S/b >2files.txt

Peter J. Burke
Professor and Chair
Department of Sociology
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521-0419
Phone: 951/827-7198
Fax: 951/827-3330 <> <>

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Fred Wolfe
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: st: Re: Unwanted pause after -shell- in do-file

I agree. I think this is an XP issue. I get exactly the same very
intermittent delays and screens on a command like this:

       shell dir *.hlp /S/b > sfiles.txt

I have thought that XP was "busy" at the moment and that it was the cause of
the delay.

Fred Wolfe

At 03:15 PM 2/14/2005, you wrote:
>I'm not certain, but I think the proper question might be "why does
>Windows XP behave this way?" or even "Why does Stata/Transfer behave
>this way?".
>After all, the delay occurs outside of Stata (it is a delay in a winXP
>command window, not within Stata).  The change in behavior after
>opening and closing an initial window may also have to do with winXP.
>You might want to try running the same Stata/Transfer command line from a
>prompt in winXP, outside of Stata, and see if the same problem emerges.
>Michael Blasnik

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases Wichita, Kansas
Tel (316) 263-2125     Fax (316) 263-0761