st: RE: Re: converting a string variable that has leading and embedded blanks to a numeric variable.

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: converting a string variable that has leading and embedded blanks to a numeric variable.
Date   Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:15:26 -0000

Although I am still unclear what the real
problem is, I note that leading blanks
will still get lost with this solution.
If you destring a variable with e.g. "0123"
as value, it will get mapped to 123.

Joyce Chen

> You could try using the subinstr command, which can
> substitute the blanks
> with zeros.  I think you would want:
>
> gen newhhid=subinstr(hhid," ","0",.)
>
> and you could use destring or real(newhhid) to create a
> numeric variable.

Ali Murat