st: Re:fitting a var...

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Re:fitting a var...
Date   Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:31:51 -0500

She was correctly told that -var- does not work with panels. But VARs are merely autoregressions of a set of y variables on a set of lags of each of those variables. They can be efficiently estimated by OLS. Therefore, since it is a dynamic panel data setting, she can run xtabond2 (which I would recommend over official xtabond) for each country/firm/etc. in the panel. xtabond2 is capable of estimating simpler models than the Arellano-Bond, including anything one can specify as OLS or IV.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics