st: Re: data size

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: data size
Date   Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:27:07 -0500

A method that will a.s. work for Joana is to use Stat/Transfer and its ability to transfer a subset of the variables in a file of one format to another format. It is unlikely that Joana needs to use all of the variables in the SPSS file. Using the codebook, create a subset of those you need, Stat/Transfer it to Stata, and you will have a Stata file of workable size. If you discover a few more variables you need, just repeat the process--since the end result is a Stata binary file, that does not involve much wasted motion. It does assume that you have access to a copy of Stat/Transfer, for which see the Stata store.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html