Re: st: data size

From   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: data size
Date   Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:13:10 -0500

Thanks for your answer! Still I didnt manage to work with this file. Ive
tryed to take out some variables from the orginal file and still Im not
able to open it in stata... The stata web site also provided with some
advice that suggests that it is not really possible to do it. is there
another software package I can turn to? thank you all! Joana

Original Message:
From: Dan Blanchette
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:54:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: st: data size

Stata offers an online interactive dataset calculator so that you
can determine how much memory Stata will need to generate that

So, based on your numbers you seem to have a very large (for a pc) dataset,
about a 10,000 megabyte file (10 gigabytes).

Your computer may only have 500 megabytes of memory available if it's a
fairly new
and average pc.

Since Stata puts the whole dataset into memory, you will need to consider
how many variables and/or observations you really need to use at one time.

These commands will be helpful:

. describe using "mybighonkingfile.dta"

. use [a varlist of the vars I need] using "mybighonkingfile.dta"

. use in 1/10000 "mybighonkingfile.dta"

. use [a varlist of the vars I need] in 1/10000  using

. use [a varlist of the vars I need] if [some condition is true]  using

You may be able to reduce the size of your file by converting it again from
to Stata by choosing "compress" (if that's available) in your conversion
package.  This will set your variable lengths to the minimum required to
your data acurately.  If you have categorical data (no decimal values),
this could reduce
the size of your datafile significantly.

Hope this helps.

Dan Blanchette

Applications Analyst Programmer
Carolina Population Center UNC-CH

st: data size
>From 	  "" <>
Subject 	  st: data size
Date 	  Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:58:19 -0500

I Have a data base with 1742 variables and 948511 cases built in SPSS. Ive
been trying to transfer it to stata, but I cant open it after. I have tryed
to change the memory and maximum variables allowed, but it doesnt seem to
work... Is it possible to open a dataset this size in Stata or is this
completly unthinkable? Can anyone tell me how I can do it?
Thank you all!
Joana Mendonša

*   For searches and help try:

mail2web - Check your email from the web at .