st: HLM or Stata?

From   Nathan Edward Fosse <[email protected]>
Subject   st: HLM or Stata?
Date   Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:24:26 -0500

Hello everyone,

I am doing a longitudinal analysis of the NELS 2000 data, which is made up of
several panels and where the data are clustered.

In particular, I am interested in examining teachers' perceptions of their
students when the students are in 10th grade, but my predictor variables are
the students' parental characteristics while the students where in 8th grade.

I was thinking of using HLM to analyze this, but I wanted to know first if there
were any commands in stata for hierarchical linear modeling.  Moreover, are
there any great advantages to using HLM over stata?  I'm asking because I'm
using a restricted data set on a computer that doesn't have the HLM program.

Thanks,

Nathan Fosse