st: RE: quotes in a string variable

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: quotes in a string variable
Date   Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:11:14 -0000

I can't see from here exactly what Stata
is holding as your string value.

It would seem that you have a dataset
on four-dimensional solids with
dimensions like

1 inch by 1 inch by 1/4 inch by 20 feet

That boggles the mind somewhat.

Whatever... it may be that you can
make progress with compound double
quotes `"   "' as delimiters.

ge struct=0 if product == `"Angles 1"x1"x1/4"x20'"'

You have a long way to go before you can
-destring- such a variable, as it does not
seem to have an interpretation in terms
of single numeric values. You might be
better off starting with a -split-.

Alternatively, a direct attack with -egen, group() label-
might be least painful of all.