Re: st: RE: Factor analysis and dummy variables.

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Factor analysis and dummy variables.
Date   Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:05:11 -0500

Thanks to Nick and Mark for their inputs.

Mark, the polychoric and polychoricpca are running forever.
Is there a better way to do this?

Nick,
Unfortunatelly, he left for the weekend.

But basically, in his reasonning, the PCA is reserved for continuous
variables while the MCA is reserved for dummy variables. In the same
idea, categorical variables (more than two responses) are to be used
with PCA.

He is a statistician, I am not. I know very few of factor analysis. My little
understanding is that it creates a common factor from a dispersion in
varlist.

My problem is that I want to create an asset index.

factor radio tv frige bike moto car , pcf factor(5)
score wealthindex

xtile wealthgroup5 = wealthindex, nq(5)

The score I obtain after the factor is of poor quality since I do not have a
homogenous
distribution (i.e. approx 20%) of wealthgroup5 subgroups. I have the same
problem with
or without weights.

Any clue what is the best solution?

Many thanks.

                      "Nick Cox"
                      <[email protected]>           To:       <[email protected]>
                      Sent by:                         cc:
                      owner-statalist@hsphsun2.        Subject:  st: RE: Factor analysis and dummy variables.
                      harvard.edu

                      12/10/2004 12:42 PM