st: Re: Factor analysis and dummy variables.

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Factor analysis and dummy variables.
Date   Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:21:24 -0800 (PST)

Amadou,

You are not getting evenly distributed wealth quintiles because you
are not including enough assets in your PCA. I assume that you are
working with DHS data (Demographic and Health Survey,
www.measuredhs.com). Most DHS surveys contain data on a household's
water source and the building material. Try to include this
information in your PCA. The criticism of your colleague is valid but
other researchers have demonstrated that the wealth index is a good
indicator of household wealth in the absence of data on household
income or expenditures. Here are two references:

Filmer, Deon, and Lant H. Pritchett. 2001. Estimating wealth effects
without expenditure data - or Tears: An application to educational
enrollments in states of India. Demography 38 (1), February: 115-132.

Rutstein, Shea Oscar, and Kiersten Johnson. 2004. DHS comparative
reports no. 6: The DHS wealth index. Calverton, MD: ORC Macro.

Hope this helps,

Friedrich Huebler