Re: st: ATE in stata 7, matching

Subject   Re: st: ATE in stata 7, matching
Date   Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:10:32 -0500

I'd say in this case you have a continuous variable of interest (GDP
per capita and its growth), so to me there is no point in categorizing
them that way: you impose some rather artificial criteria of the
subgroup selection, then lose some of the information, and further you
are trying to recover that lost information by introducing covariates.
That's weird. The fact that everybody is talking about ATEs and
excited about them does not mean that it should be applied to each and
every problem. If what you are analyzing is the effect of the IMF
macro stabilization package on the country growth, then yes, you can
envision a program evaluation estimator of some kind (treatreg,
propensity score matching, DID, whatever). You will likely have
problems with the sample size, as the matching estimators are
semiparametric in their nature: they may not have parametric (square
root of n) convergenece rates, and thus require huge sample sizes to
be of any substantial practical value. Also, I've seen papers showing
that the matching estimators with fixed number of matches are biased,
in pretty much the same way the non-parametric/kernel regression
estimators with fixed bandwidth are biased, and to correct for that
bias, one would have to go through something like bandwidth selection.

Stas

--
Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name