st: Re: Stata Journal and piece of string variables

From   "Michael Blasnik" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Stata Journal and piece of string variables
Date   Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:22:00 -0500

In addition to Scott Merryman's reply using substr(), a more general approach along the lines of what you were trying is Stata's regular expression matching function -match(). For this example:

drop if match(automob,"*car")

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "TEWODAJ MOGUES" <>
To: "Stata _" <>
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2004 2:42 AM
Subject: st: Stata Journal and piece of string variables

Another question (I don't find lots of info on the search regarding
string variables): Is there a way for me to refer to a piece of string
var? Say there is a string var called -automob- with values redcar and
bluecar. Suppose I want to do something like
drop if automob == " * car"
thus gettingn rid of rows where the values are redcar or bluecar
CLearly this syntax doesn't work, but is there a way to do something in
this spirit without too complicated splitting-up of variables?