Re: st: Stata 9 Wish List

From   Daniel Egan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata 9 Wish List
Date   Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:23:13 -0400

I completely agree - I had the misfortune recently to have to use SAS
to man-handle some huge datasets. I likewise used SPSS a while ago,
and they are both horribly inefficient from a users standpoint.
Consider what I get by typing
bys A: sum, d
versus what you would have to write in SAS (ugh) to get the same
amount of info.

That said, because of this, I would love it if Stata got serious
somehow about handling big datasets.  I am pretty ambivalent about
Stata being better on integrating user-written routines into official
program. I realize that it's probably a pain to Stata Inc, but I do
notice that until I have a real need to have something be done, I
don't go looking for it in SSC or the Archives - I look in the command
helps. So sometimes, because I am lazy, I miss out on some cool
routines. Also though, having Stata be more integrated would emphasize
the efficiency which I noted above. Consider:

log using boo, replace
log close
log2html boo.smcl, blah

I could just say
log using doo.html, html (blah)
log close

All in all, my complaints about Stata are those of a petulant lazy
child - and in some ways, I complain because I appreciate Stata enough
that I feel beholden to 1) spread the gospel and 2) make it better, as
I wish it were.

Ok, its Sunday......