st: Varying income ranking and concentration index (glcurve7/egen rank)

From   D Jimenez Rubio <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Varying income ranking and concentration index (glcurve7/egen rank)
Date   Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:14:55 +0100

Dear Stata list users,

I have a doubt about the consistency of my results. I am running some
estimations with the objective of calculating the income related
inequality of a measure of health (concentration index). To get the
income ranking variable I am using both the manual calculation of the
rank(egen rank, etc) and the command glcurve7. However, every time I run
my model, both of the ranking variables generated slightly change. The
results in terms of the Concentration Index are very similar. However, I
dont understand why is this happening, given that my ranking variable
(equivalised household income) is continuous and is defined at the
individual level of aggregation. I would highly appreciate any help in
this respect.

Thanks a lot,