Re: st: Binomial confidence intervals

From   Frederico Zanqueta Poleto <>
Subject   Re: st: Binomial confidence intervals
Date   Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:06:38 -0300

The book from Agresti (2002), Categorical Data Analysis, discuss confidence intervals built from tests like Wald, score and likelihood ratio, and the Clopper-Pearson, Wilson and Agresti-Coull.intervals too. I think any library from a statistical faculty have this book and it is a great reference about the subject.

Frederico Zanqueta Poleto
"An approximate answer to the right problem is worth a good deal more than an exact answer to an approximate problem." J. W. Tukey

Paul Seed wrote:

Dear all,

As I don't have access to a decent Stats library here, I tried to obtain
the recommended paper (Brown, Cai, & DasGupta.
Interval Estimation for a Binomial Proportion. Statistical Science, 2001,
16, pp. 101-133.) over the internet; but it is currently behind a "rolling
firewall", until 2005.

Would anyone who has seen it hazard a comment on which of the
new methods - Wilson, Jeffreys or Agresti they would prefer for
small samples.

Many thanks

Paul T Seed (
Division of Reproductive Health, Endocrinology and Development
Guy's Kings and St. Thomas' School of Medicine, King's College London,
St Thomas' Hospital,
Lambeth Palace Road,
London SE1 7EH

tel (+44) (0) 20 7188 3642