st: Binomial confidence intervals

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   st: Binomial confidence intervals
Date   Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:24:47 -0500

The -ci- command includes several options for computing binomial confidence intervals: exact (the default), wilson, agresti and jeffreys. Just so I am clear on these, is "exact" really really really exact? Am I correct in guessing that "exact" can be the most difficult to do by hand, and the others are therefore approximations that are somewhat easier to calculate if you don't have a computer? Is there any reason I would not want to use "exact", other than perhaps to replicate a calculation done using one of the other methods? Thanks for any insights.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu