Re: st: Binomial confidence intervals

From   Constantine Daskalakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Binomial confidence intervals
Date   Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:44:45 -0400

At 01:24 PM 9/7/2004, Richard Williams wrote:
The -ci- command includes several options for computing binomial confidence intervals: exact (the default), wilson, agresti and jeffreys. Just so I am clear on these, is "exact" really really really exact? Am I correct in guessing that "exact" can be the most difficult to do by hand, and the others are therefore approximations that are somewhat easier to calculate if you don't have a computer? Is there any reason I would not want to use "exact", other than perhaps to replicate a calculation done using one of the other methods? Thanks for any insights.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]
I remember checking this at some point. The "exact" option indeed gives the exact binomial confidence interval (which requires an iterative algorithm to get the limits, eg, bifurkation algorithm). StatXact calls this the "Clopper-Pearson" interval.

I have no idea what these other intervals are and why we need them. I was not aware of those options and they are not documented in the manual.

The documents accompanying this transmission may contain confidential health or business information. This information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and arrange for the return or destruction of these documents.

Constantine Daskalakis, ScD
Assistant Professor,
Biostatistics Section, Thomas Jefferson University,
211 S. 9th St. #602, Philadelphia, PA 19107
Tel: 215-955-5695
Fax: 215-503-3804
Email: [email protected]
Webpage: http://www.jefferson.edu/medicine/pharmacology/bio/