st: RE: Re: graph with 2 x axes

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Re: graph with 2 x axes
Date   Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:40:27 +0100

In the same spirit, and standing on Vince's shoulders (*),

qui su `0'
local imin = ceil((r(min) - r(mean))/r(sd))
local imax = floor((r(max) - r(mean))/r(sd))
forval i = `imin'/`imax' {
	local labels `"`labels' `= r(mean) + (`i') * r(sd)' "`i'" "'
set graphics off
histogram `0', t1(z scale)
.Graph.insert (.xaxis2 = , position(above)) above plotregion1
.Graph.set_axis_plotregion xaxis2 plotregion1 x
.Graph.xaxis2.major.add_ticks `labels'
set graphics on
graph display

This should work as follows:

do myhistogram systolic
do myhistogram systolic if female

(*) A book on catastrophe theory bore a dedication to a beloved mentor:
"at whose feet we sit, on whose shoulders we stand". Only topologists could
visualise the resulting position.

Christopher F Baum

> Please see Vince Wiggins' talk from the London meetings, where he
> presented code to do something like that in the example using US
> states.

Richard T. Campbell