st: RE: stata and remote desktop

From   "Hoetker, Glenn" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: stata and remote desktop
Date   Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:52:53 -0500

[Space in case Statalist cuts off the top of the message

JP asks about accessing Stata via Windows Remote Desktop Connection.
I actually have Stata running on my desktop machine while I'm accessing
it from my local Panera's via Remote Desktop at this very minute.  It
works wonderfully.  Stata (or any program from the server/desktop
machine) runs completely on the server's resources. In essence, RDC just
gives you a keyboard and monitor that are attached to the server from
very far away.  So long as the machine you are running your client on
has enough power to handle the graphics (anything with XP should) you'll
do fine.

On occasion, Stata will cause RDC to crash and disconnect.  This seems
to happen most often when I've sent a ton of data scrolling across the
results window. When you log back in with RDC, it crashes out
immediately again.  The answer is to reduce the colors used to 256 via
the options in RDC and then reconnect.  It should work fine. Most of the
time, however, I use thousands of colors without problems.

Enjoy.

Glenn

Glenn Hoetker
Assistant Professor of Strategy